Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Cold Mountain - Come Back to Me

Cold Mountain has been filled with wonderful scenes and one of my favorite is the one where a letter from Ada is read to Inman by the nurse. It is, I think, my most favorite love letter in a movie. The audience can really feel how Ada long for Inman and Inman too as he listen to the nurse that reads the letter.


This was the letter:

Dear Mr. Inman,

Since you’ve left, time has been measured out in bitter chapters. Last fall, my poor father died. Our farm at Black Cove is abandoned. Every house in this mountain is touched by tragedy. Each day we dread of learning who has fallen, who will not return from this terrible war. And no word from you. Are you alive? I pray to God you are. This war is lost on the battlefield and is being lost twice over by those who stayed behind.

I’m still waiting, as I promised I would. But I find myself alone and at the end of my wits, too embarrassed to keep taking from those who can least afford to give.

My last thread of courage now is to put my faith in you, and to believe I will see you again. So now I say to you, plain as I can. If you are fighting, stop fighting. If you are marching, stop marching. Come back to me. Come back to me is my request.

No comments: